Thursday, February 9, 2012

I'm From "New York"

I love cliches, actually that was a lie. Since my arrival here there has been one thing that has annoyed me. One is always inquisitive when meeting new people, especially when people meet Americans. My favorite question they ask is, " Where in America are you from?" and of course as cliches go I answer, "from New york." and let the questions begin. it always goes along the lines of, "oh wow that's so cool! Is it really like Gossip Girl and Sex and The City?" Originally I enjoyed crushing their dreams of New York while simultaneously giving them a 10 minute lecture on geography of New England. But there are only so many times I can give those lectures and late last week I gave up and just said, "yup I'm from New York, No it's not like the shows or movies. Yes people tend to be mean there." and then I just go on my mary way, honestly it's easier to let them believe their fantasies. But then they ask stupid questions after that. the best I've heard so far is, "do they watch T.V. in America?" After the person asked this I had to have a little fun! I informed them that no we don't have television in New York we also don't have cinemas and we travel via horse and buggy. The sad thing is they actually believed me for a second. But now on to more exciting news! Classes here are much more practical and hands on (recommendation to all of you send your kids here to college one its cheaper, two it takes less time and three its the most practical career orientated education I have ever witnessed.) anyways! In my professional production practices class we have been asked to shoot a video for a real world client. Well my production team and I got to pitch to The BBC for a docu-travel piece on the Isle of Wight. A gorgeous island with a world famous zoo, the grand Osborne House, a former palace to Queen Victoria. and world renowned festival that draws in musical talents by the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam, Jessie J and the world's most current artists. And as long as it is up to BBC standards our program will be aired in 22 cities across the UK and possibly viewed by millions. All with a producers credit the reads Joshua Loden. I will also be hosting a radio program in May about student life in Portsmouth and healthy living in Portsmouth. It's only been three weeks and I'm already becoming a UK power house. I can't wait to see what the next 5 months bring! Well until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment